Participate in Walk and Roll to School Days
February 4, 2015: Winter Walk Day
This winter, let's celebrate walking to school. On February 4th, we invite you to join our Canadian neighbors to the north and participate in Winter Walk Day! This event is a great way to stay fit, beat the winter blahs, enjoy the outdoors, and have fun. The Resource Center will have special Winter Walk Day stickers for participating schools. To view the 34 participating VT school click here.
Mark your calendars for Vermont's third annual Walk and Roll to School Day!! VT SRTS, VTAHPERD and AARP strive to include walkers of all ages! Please help us keep up with all of the exciting activities across the state and gain access to incentive items by registering your school's event in the spring. To view a list of Senior Centers in your area click here.
May 2015: National Bike School Day
The event builds on the popularity of Walk to School Day, which is celebrated across the country – and the world – each October. Many communities and schools have been holding spring walk and bicycle to school events for years. National Bike to School Day provides an opportunity for schools across the country to join together to celebrate and to build off of the energy of National Bike Month.
May 2015: Way to Go! Week
The Vermont Safe Routes to School Resource Center partnered with Way to Go! Vermont to encourage more schools than ever to participate in the spring Way to Go! Commuter Challenge. Get your clean commute on by encouraging your school staff and students to walk, bike, bus or carpool to school. To view the 2014 results click here.
October 2015: International Walk to School Day
International Walk to School Day is a global event where communities from over 40 countries walk and bike to school on a single day. Join families, schools and communities around the globe as they walk and bicycle to school in celebration of Walk to School Day every October. Learn more about the day, who is participating in your area, and register for this year's event at www.walkbiketoschool.org.
Vermont is 2nd in the country for participation in this event! Sixty-four schools across Vermont participated in International Walk to School Day in 2014!!
Take your program to the next level by holding monthly or weekly walk/bike to school days!
January: Polar Bear Walk/Bike
February: Healthy Heart Hike/Bike
March: Lucky Walk/Bike
April: Earth Day Walk/Bike
May: Vermont Intergenerational Walk and Roll to School Day/National Bike to School Day/Way to Go Challenge
June: Safety Day Walk/Bike ("Bling Yourself" award for best dressed/brightest/most visible)
September: Back to School Walk/Bike
October: International Walk to School Day
November: Turkey Trot
December: Snowman Stride
We have the following items available by request (while supplies last) for our Partner schools.
Partner Schools can make selections from the following items--
Basic-level and above:
VT SRTS "I Walk and Roll to School" series
- VT SRTS Walk and Roll to School Day bookmarks
Bronze-level and above:
- VT SRTS Backpack Blinkies or Adult Reflective Vests or Durable Reflective Tape
Silver-level and above:
- Walk Across America Pedometer Kit or Walking School Bus Sidewalk Stencils and Spray Chalk or Slow Down Yard Signs
Gold-level and above:
- $100 Micro Grant
- $200 Micro Grant
Download and Print Reminder Stickers on Avery 5294
Walk and Bike to School Day Event Materials
- Walk and Bike to School Posters and Press Release Templates
- Planning and Outreach Tools for International Walk to School Day
International Walk to School Day Downloadable Materials
- iWalk Announcement Flyer
- iWalk Reminder Flyer
- iWalk Banner: 11x17, 11x51
- iWalk Participation Certificate: full page, half page
- iWalk Walking School Bus Pennant: 8.5x11, 11x17
Vermont Intergenerational Walk and Roll to School Day Downloadable Materials
- Vermont Intergenerational Walk and Roll to School Day Event Flyer
- Vermont Intergenerational Walk and Roll to School Day Event Reminder Flyer
- Vermont Intergenerational Walk and Roll to School Day Participation Certificates
- Walk and Bike to School Posters and Press Release Template
- Vermont Intergenerational Walk and Roll Pennant
- Pennant for Walking School Bus (8.5" x 11")
- Pennant for Walking School Bus (11" x 17")
- Vermont Intergenerational Walk and Roll to School Day Banner (11" x 17")
- Vermont Intergenerational Walk and Roll to School Day Banner (11" x 51")
Help spread the word by hanging this flyer at your local library, market, or community gathering space: Vermont Walk and Roll to School Day Announcement Flyer
Other Event Resources