Skip to main content

Who to Contact

Regional Experts can connect you to people or resources to support your SRTS program or project. The following list identifies who to contact for answers to common questions.

Who can I contact to get a copy of past travel tallies or parent surveys from my school?
National Center for Safe Routes to School.

Who can make me a map of where students in my school live?
Regional Expert 

Who can I contact to borrow the Kohl’s bike trailer for my school?
Local Motion provides a bike trailer and training to schools. Contact Local Motion to reserve the trailer for your next bike rodeo, training,  or other event.

Who can help me organize a bicycle rodeo or start a walking / biking curriculum at my school?
Regional Expert  or  Safe Kids Vermont

Who can I contact for information on the discounted helmets program?
Safe Kids Vermont 

Who can help me install a bike rack at my school?
Chittenden County has a discounted bike rack program.  
Local Motion can also help with schools outside Chittenden County. 

Generally speaking, what organizations can I ask to support my program?
Schools in the program have found hospital and healthcare organizations, and local town energy committees to be very helpful in SRTS programs. Local businesses or educational institutions may be helpful as well. See our Working with the Community MiniGuide for ideas.

Who can I contact about installing bike lanes, stop signs, sidewalks or other amenities around my school?
Regional Expert in your region.

Who can help me upgrade my crosswalks and signage?
Public Works / Foreman in your region. The Regional Expert can also help.

Who can I contact to reduce the speed limit along the school road if it's on a State highway?
Town Selectboard or City Council. They will need to send a signed letter requesting the change to: Vermont Traffic Committee, State of Vermont, AOT – Traffic Operations, in care of Amy Gamble, National Life Drive, Montpelier, VT 05633 or email

Who can I contact to register for Walk to School Day?
You can register your event with the Safe Routes to School National Center's International Walk to School site. The National Center releases a report on  participation among the states each year. Vermont has ranked very high in past years - by registering your event, you can keep our ranking high!

Who can I contact to get more information about SRTS?
The National Center is a great resource for schools  looking for additional information on walking and biking to school. The National Center includes updates on grants, legislation, new educational materials, case studies, and other resources. While the resources on this website have been specially tailored for Vermont, the National Center has a wide variety of resources and materials to support your program.